The Hungarian American Coalition is now accepting applications for the 2020 Fall Session.
Application deadline: June 15, 2020
The John N. Lauer Leadership Training Programwas established to allow young Hungarian Americans and well-qualified English-speaking Hungarians from Hungary and neighboring countries to gain first-hand experience at various Washington-based institutions to motivate them for public service in their respective places of origin, as well as to provide opportunity to build contacts in the US in their professional areas of expertise. In partnership with the Hungarian American Coalition, we plan to bring 5 talented interns to DC this fall.
Applicant requirements are the following:
- must be a citizen of the United States or Hungary, or member of an ethnic Hungarian community in Slovakia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Croatia or Slovenia;
- must be enrolled as students in their respective countries of origin or in the US, and must have completed at least one full year of their studies;
- must have proof of excellent written and oral communications skills in English;
- record of outstanding academic standing;
- letter of intent and CV in English (please use the Europass format, you can create it here);
- two letters of recommendation regarding the applicant’s personal and academic achievements.
The Hungarian American Coalition’s Internship grant will cover living expenses and local transportation expenses in the Washington, DC area for the duration of internship. The internship’s duration will depend on the requirements of the host office but shall not be longer than four months.
Interns are also expected to complete a Coalition project of mutual interest during their stay in Washington DC.
How to Apply:
The Hungarian American Coalition has created an online database which enables applicants to submit their applications online.
Applicants have to create a user profile and upload the requested documents which are the cover letter, curriculum vitae, recommendation letters and academic records.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and should be submitted by registering at:
If you need clarification on the registration system, contact us at:
The John N. Lauer Leadership Training Program is contingent upon available funding. Consequently, internships may not be available for you during your preferred time period, or may only be available at short notice.
If the program cannot accommodate you due to lack of funding at the time of application, we may contact you again at a later date, once funding becomes available, provided that your application was otherwise successful.
You must upload all required documents. We will not contact any applicant whose application is incomplete.
The John N. Lauer Leadership Training Program is supported by a grant of the Hungary Foundation.