As part of the Liberty Bridge Program, Hungary Foundation is now accepting applications to our Post-Graduate Visiting Research Fellowship for the 2022/2023 academic year. This 12-month fully funded research fellowship was established to bolster in-residence scholarly research at top US universities in the fields of liberal arts and social sciences, in areas where Hungarian academic research is underrepresented. The goal of this fellowship is to support academic research of strategic importance to the US-Hungary relationship with educational institutions that are likely to become long-term partners for future academic collaborations. Applicants must be at least in their third year of their Ph.D. program at a Hungarian academic institution or must have received their Ph.D. within the last 5 years, preference will be given to those who are actively teaching in Hungary. Candidates must have secured a letter of invitation from a US host institution at the time of their application. For this fellowship, we are looking for highly motivated, young Hungarian scholars with an outstanding academic record and the drive to be bridge builders between Hungary and the US. The fellowship is designed to be family-friendly: the allowance will cover all visa fees, health insurance, and international travel costs for the applicant’s dependents as well.
The Fellowship’s financial assistance covers the following:
- monthly stipend for 12 months to cover living expenses ($7,000/month for families; $5,500 for individuals)
- visa support and related fees (for the fellow as well as the fellow’s dependents)
- health insurance (for the fellow as well as the fellow’s dependents)
- dedicated domestic travel and conference support (up to $7,500 per fellow)
- books, memberships, and subscriptions (up to $500 per fellow)
- publications support (up to $1000 per fellow)
- host institution tuition (if applicable, up to $10,000 per fellow)
The Fellowship will run from August 2022 through July 2023 the Fellow will be invited to participate in all HF-organized professional development, networking events, and leadership programs in Washington, and will enjoy tailored mentorship and staff support to help the initial onboarding and settling-in process and will be provided mentorship and assistance during their entire stay. To start the online application visit the fellowship application page here.
- Full CV: in English, must include date of birth, citizenship, and full publication list
- Research Project Statement: must include full description of the candidate’s research project, list of area experts in the field to be consulted, other academic institutions, and think tank the applicant wishes to visit
- Three Letters of Recommendation: must include at least one academic recommendation and needs to be tailored to this specific fellowship
- Host Institution Acceptance Letter: must specify the host institution’s exact department and professor who will aid and provide mentorship for the applicant during the stay
- Cover Letter: must include whether the applicant is applying alone or with family members, any previous research in the United States
The Application Deadline April 29, 2022
Expected Fellowship decision: May, 2022
ABOUT THE LIBERTY BRIDGE PROGRAM
The goal of Hungary Foundation’s Liberty Bridge Program (launched in 2020) is to reinvigorate the US-Hungary relationship by building up a new framework of programs that will bolster the professional, academic, public, and people-to-people dialogue between the two countries. The idea behind the program is our core conviction that the US and Hungary share value-driven special bonds built on the concept of Liberty. As part of this program, HF will invest in scholars and fellows who have demonstrated leadership skills and will serve as future bridge-builders between the two countries.